View previous topic View next topic Go down

FS: 1975 Silver 350 #'s matching Corvette T-top Auto, AC, PS

Post  Iain McLean on Fri 09 Jan 2009, 11:50 pm

Going... going... gone!

Last edited by Iain McLean on Fri 23 Jan 2009, 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iain McLean

Male Number of posts : 91
Years experience : 20+
Clever Quote : If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.
Registration date : 2008-10-13

View user profile http://www.nunapb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: FS: 1975 Silver 350 #'s matching Corvette T-top Auto, AC, PS

Post  bob on Sat 10 Jan 2009, 12:41 am

drool.

several years before I reached middle age I got a hot car. my boss is the only person who has ever had a realistic point of view.

Get it while you're still young enough to really appreciate it.

truer words were never spoken. my car is gone now. every once in a while I have flashbacks where I feel my hand grasping the shifter.

I'm so happy that I had the experience, and it's so much better to have a car like that sooner, than later.

Good luck with your sale!

bob
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Male Number of posts : 1544
Years experience : since 06
Clever Quote : Practice
Registration date : 2008-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iain McLean on Sat 10 Jan 2009, 12:51 am

Years from now, when I'm old and smelly, no one will ever believe me when I tell them I used to own a classic sports car that went like stink and put out enough emissions that it could kill small mammals as I drove past...

They'll put the stories down to Alzheimers...

Ah well... At least I'll have the photos!

Got the 'classic' polaroid yesterday... vintage photo for a vintage car!
Iain McLean

Clever Quote : If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

Back to top Go down

Post  bob on Sat 10 Jan 2009, 1:45 am

Iain,

I hate to be the dude with the water balloon, but 10 years from now no one you know will even care enough to wonder if your lying or not.

I gotta tell you though, as far as I know, my car could take a corner harder than anything Detroit ever made.

Bet you don't care!

Bet no one does.

Bet no one cares that I had it up to 115 on the interstate. With the t-tops out. Bet even you don't care that it was just an inline 4.

Here's my favorite cop story. I came over this hill and I saw a white Crown Vic coming over the other hill from the other direction. So I said to myself, gosh, maybe I ought to slow down a bit, just in case. Sure enough it's a Georgia State Trooper, and he almost rolls his car coming around to chase me. I'm not interested in being a star on the TV show Cops, so I slow down to 55 before he's even finished his 180. The instant he puts on his blue lights I'm on the side of the road. So he comes up and asks to see my license. The next question seems to be a standard cop question aimed at establishing motive. "What were you doing going so fast?"

Well, fortunately, I was able to hold back the truth.

"Slowing down." was the only thing I could think of.

Well he didn't give me any benefit of the doubt -- 89 in a 55 zone. 89 is what he said he clocked me at. 89 doesn't sound near as bad as 105, but it still added $1500 to my insurance each six months for three years.

After you get just one of those at least 90% of the fun of having a fast car vanishes.

Still a great car. It could take 1.0 g on a skid pad. Your vette would easy beat me block to block easy, but if it was twisties then it was a whole other story.

bob
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Iain McLean on Sat 10 Jan 2009, 4:34 am

bob wrote:I had it up to 115 on the interstate. With the t-tops out.

How did you keep your eyeballs in their sockets?

I have had mine at similar speeds on the 134 now and again but the only time I tried it with the roof off I gave up when the wind was pulling my hair out by the roots! lol!

That bit off roof behind you makes one hell of a wall for the air to hit and buffett you around.

I hear what you say about the bendy roads but two years back I swapped the suspension out on the vette for a composite rear spring, new front springs, bushings and shocks all round... with the sway bar on it can take a corner pretty tight...
Iain McLean

Back to top Go down

Post  bob on Sat 10 Jan 2009, 2:37 pm

Sounds nice. I've heard that vette's with upgraded suspension are real rockets -- if you have to slow down going into the corners a little, it doesn't matter cause you can make up coming out the other end. Even without making any changes I'm sure they handle a lot better than say, my Dad's mustang GT!

Some of the guys with the turbo mr2's used to get up to 400 hp out of them, at which point it's hard to get it to the road because the cars were pretty light.

At 115 it was pretty windy, but the car had these little wind deflectors that really did a good job. I didn't hold it at that speed for any length of time. Even at normal highway speeds it got really noisy with the tops out. After a long drive my ears would be singing. And I had to keep a hat to tuck my hair into because otherwise the wind would blow it into my eyes -- not just infront of them but actually into them.

One time I was driving with the top out and it was a beautiful day and all of a sudden it started raining. I knew that the town I was coming up to had a gas station and it wasn't raining all that hard so the wind was blowing the rain over the opening. I figured I'd drive the next two miles to town and stop and put the tops in at the gas station. Well all of a sudden the sky just opened up so I had to stop. Well I started slowing down and all of a sudden instead of the rain going over the roof it's coming in, and it's getting in my eyes so I'm having a hard time seeing. So I decide I better get the car stopped as quickly as possible. I really get on the brakes good and hard just about the time the left hand tires left the pavement. No traction on the left so the car pulls hard. There's a big, steep embankment on the side of the road, so not only is the car rotating to the left, but it's slipping down the hill at the same time. I'm countersteering and trying to balance the brakes to keep the wheels unlocked, which is hard to do when half the car is in mud. I came to a stop about 5 feet down the hill, with the tires dug in a good couple inches. I jump out and put the roof in as quick as possible. I notice that the car that had been about a mile behind me had come to a stop on the highway where I was. It was the Sherrif. Of course he wanted me to sit in his car and explain what happened. He was ready to call a tow truck to pull me up the hill, but I said I would go ahead and try to drive it out first. It really didn't look like there was anyway that car was going to drive up a muddy hill when the tires were starting out 2 inches deep. But it was light with wide tires and all the weight in the back, right over the tires. I just eased the clutch out and it drove right up and all's well that ends well!

bob
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content