Irish Kit?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Irish Kit?

Post  Pipin' Paramedic on Sun 27 Dec 2009, 1:55 pm

Interesting discussion about irish military kit here: http://thepub.forumandco.com/rummage-sale-f15/fssaffron-kilt-diced-hose-laird-s-plaid-t1346.htm?highlight=saffron

My question - does anybody know about sources for proper Irish military kit? I've searched high and low for dealers for a brath, cloak (as in the Tommy Jackson photo), etc., and have had zero results.

Anybody with an idea?

Pipin' Paramedic

Male Number of posts : 23
Years experience : 10
Clever Quote : Tune it!
Registration date : 2009-12-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Irish Kit?

Post  Funeral Piper on Sun 27 Dec 2009, 4:12 pm

I am very lucky to have former Rangers as friends who gave me most of my kit. Pete Farrell former 2nd btn Rangers sent me the cloak. Its the cloak that is really the hard item to find. The tunic is second. A company in Canada can make one for you for $750.00. Over the years I found some items on eBay and other sources. My first set of buckles came from an eBay deal from a guy in Canada two sets from former Rangers and a couple of spare sets from a military seller in Batavia Il.
Ex Rangers are now having trouble finding caubeens. This is a real shame as Rangers associations exist all over the UK, Northern Ireland and even one in Dublin. These lads can't find a good source for them either.
The kit for the Republic of Ireland Defence Force pipers is even harder to get as Eire has a law to keep Irish military surplus off the market. eBay is the best source for these items. A number of suppliers like J Higgins make excellent saffron kilts, you must first make sure they use the right shade of saffron.
Good Luck in getting one together. Email me if you have any questions.

Slan,
Dave
Funeral Piper
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Male Number of posts : 300
Years experience : since 1995
Clever Quote : "It is the duty of the strong to protect the weak and Karate is only for protection".
Registration date : 2008-02-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Irish kit?

Post  Pipin' Paramedic on Sun 27 Dec 2009, 4:26 pm

Thanks, Dave.

Maybe there's a market for a guy to find a set and use it to construct a pattern.

It's really annoying to ask a "celtic shop" if they can make a brath and they ask "What's that?"

Ask some of your mates if the caubeens shown here look "proper" from the regimental perspective. http://www.jbyous.com/Headwear2.html They will have to ignore the camo rubbish at the top of the page. It would be a sin if authentic Rangers had to buy headgear from the states, but.....

Pipin' Paramedic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Funeral Piper on Sun 27 Dec 2009, 4:51 pm

The Caubeens made by J Byous are not exact and can not be shaped like a real one. Real caubeens were made of two different materials. One was made of heavy duty serge type fabric. The cap was issued to a Ranger who then put it in boiling water then took it out and rolled it in a towel to ring it out then put it on his head and shaped it to suite his taste then set it aside to dry. This process caused the cap to retain that shape at all times. This cap was used for everyday training. The second cap was called a "super fine" and was made of a lighter weight fabric and was shaped as is when worn on #1 dress events. Most Rangers just got two super fine versions.
Byous makes fine caps but not the real version of the caubeen.
Jim does however make a very good version of the cap worn by the Defence Force pipers of Eire. He does however use the wrong color of trim ribbon. He uses a bright orange but the real pipers cap has a more gold version of saffron. I had Jim make one for me and asked him to use the ribbon trin that I sent him. He did a fantastic job.
Funeral Piper
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Clever Quote : "It is the duty of the strong to protect the weak and Karate is only for protection".

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Irish kit?

Post  Pipin' Paramedic on Sun 27 Dec 2009, 5:09 pm

Is that a standard balmoral with the proper colored ribbon? Or is it something special?

Fortunately the rest of the Irish Defence Forces kit is pretty standard, the blue blouse is pretty easy but the correct colored green is hard to come by in the US.

Pipin' Paramedic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Funeral Piper on Sun 27 Dec 2009, 5:42 pm

Only the Air Corp wear the blue shirt, the others wear a kakhi (sp) short sleeve. In #1 dress all wear a white shirt and the color of the tie depends on what corp your in. The air corp jacket is blue and the infantry pipers wear a green one.
The kit I wear most often is styled after the infantry version. My second is a non military Irish style. Its very rare for me to wear the Ranger kit. And only if requested.
Funeral Piper
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top